Tiko, originally called ‘Keka’ by the Bakweris, is a town and important port in the southwest region of Cameroon. The settlement grew as a market town for Duala (or Douala) fishermen, Bakweri ( Kpwe people ) farmers and hunters from Molyko, Bwenga, Bulu and Bokov.
Tiko means “exchange” in the Bakweri dialect. Tiko and Likomba area were originally hunting ground for one hunter from Molyko called Joke Malisonge. He discovered the place in the late 18 th Century and used to come and stay there for about three months hunting. At times he came along with his family and would exchange meat for fish from Edjo people. Other hunters, farmers and fishermen also discovered the area and started coming there to exchange their products. Some of them started settling there and by 1903, after the settlement had grown. The first settlers in the area were, Bakweri hunters and farmers from Molyko, Bwenga, Bulu and Bokova and fishermen from Douala.
In 1911, the Tiko City was formally created by the Germans, who gave 300 hectares of land with titles to some 35 Douala and Bakweri families. In 1922, the Tiko native Council was created under Chief Joke Nasoa though administered by the Victoria Federated Native Authority.